Life throws us a curve ball at times and change is forced upon us. This can be through the loss of a job, loss of a loved one, abusive relationship, natural occurrence, decision of another person, tragic accident and number other causes.
So, how do you deal with change when it isn’t your idea?
- Cry—sometimes we just need to cry and express our pain. There are times when there just aren’t words.
- Mourn your loss—a loss is a loss, regardless of how large or small. Even if the change is one that we want, our life is changed and we need to mourn and say goodbye to that part of our lives. Sometimes this is a few hours or a day and other times it is months or years.
- Pray and ask God for guidance and to help you move on—in all things we need to pray and ask God what He would have to do now.
- Accept your new normal—we have a new normal, even if it is for an interim time. We have to accept this and learn how to live in this new reality.
- Determine your ultimate destination—we need to decide what our goals are. What do we ultimately want in life? Sometimes it takes weeks or months to determine what we may truly want and what God’s will might be for our lives. We mustn’t forget to seek God’s will.
- Make a list of steps to reach that goal—now that we know where we are going, we need to access where we are and the steps to get from one place to the next. Again, sometimes our goals are short term and other time they are long term.
- Work hard towards those goals—we work hard to meet these goals, whether it is returning to school, searching for a job, selling a house, etc.
- Continue to put one foot in front of another—there are days when life gets difficult and we don’t feel that we can keep going. We take a deep breath and continue to put one foot in front of the other.
- Reach for your dreams—never give up—if this is truly what God has laid on your heart, never give up. Ask for His help and keep pushing through no matter how difficult life gets at times.
Sometimes life altering events, lead to positive change.
What other ways do you deal with change?
You must log in to post a comment.