- 66% of caregivers are women
- 29% of the US Population require some sort of caregiver
- 51% of care recipients live in their own home, 29% live with their family caregiver, and 4% live in nursing homes and assisted living.
- 78% of adults living in the community and in need of long-term care depend on family and friends as their only source of help.
- 23% of family caregivers caring for loved ones for 5 years or more report their health is fair or poor.
- Family caregivers experiencing extreme stress have been shown to age prematurely. This level of stress can take as much as 10 years off a family caregiver’s life.
- Six in 10 family caregivers are employed.
According to Caregiving in the United States; National Alliance for Caregiving in collaboration with AARP. November 2009